For 17 years now the award winning recipe for The Texas Gypsies sound is to perform the “Vintage Jazzy Swingin" cool hep cat sounds of the Great Gatsby era 1920's, plus a mix of the Big Band Swing sound of the 1930's and 40’s, add in a taste of its sister sound, Western Swing, sprinkle some Django style Gypsy Jazz over the top and finally finish up with a pinch of Retro Deco Rockin Roll! The band mixes passionate violin, a blazing horn section, rockin-swingin guitars, slappin upright bass, and retro style drumming to harmoniously create their own unique, classy and fun sound!
We can perform music form the 1920's to more Modern Styles with instrumentals and male and female singers.
Vintage Jazzy Swingin cool hep cat sounds of the 20's-30's-40’s along with a taste of
Western Swing, a bit of Gypsy Jazz magic sprinkled over the top and a pinch of Retro Deco Rockabilly! The band mixes passionate violin, a blazing horn section, rocking swingin guitars, slappin upright bass, and retro style drumming to harmoniously create The Texas Gypsies own unique, fun and artistic sound!
They can also play more modern music if needed for events from Dance, Disco, to Classic Rock and Pop!
The band is on 3 prestigious arts organizations:
The Texas Commission on the Arts
The Mid America Arts Alliance
The National Endowment of the Arts AmericanMasterpieces touring rosters!
- Our Original song "Maxwell Swing" was used in the movie "The Smell of Success" (starring Billy Bob Thornton and Tea Leoni) and on Several TV shows for Fox, Oxygen, MTV and more!
- Featured band in the June 2007 issue of "International Musician Magazine"
- Featured CD in Downbeat Magazine Dec 09
- Voted #1 act at Wildflower! Arts and Music Festival in 2006
- Featured on Fox KDFW-TV performing the theme song for "Good Day" morning show and on their Holiday promo with our original Christmas song " Christmastime in Texas
- Debut CD "The Texas Gypsies" in 2005 Grammy® voting for "Best Jazz Album"
- Winner Best Swing group 08-Academy of Western Artists
- Texas Gypsies Theme Song was included in "Texas Music Project/Don't Mess With Texas, Vol. 3"
- Named "Best of Bands" by The Knot Magazine and Best Band 2010 -2011 in W -Wire
“The Texas Gypsies have accomplished what few bands have even tried, let alone succeeded in doing in the past. The group blends elements of traditional small group Swing, Gypsy Jazz and Western Swing into a tightly woven fabric of 21st Century sophistication and jumpin, thumpin entertainment!!"
Texas Gypsies is a fun band playing at a level above the rest. All of the Gypsies are great North Texas musicians known nationally for their terrific musicianship. Their remarkable talents come together in this band to play music at a very high performance level and to have fun doing it. Artistically this is a great band, and for delightful entertainment, no party band is better. Bill Martin ArtsSeniorStudySociety
"A buzz is building for the Swinging Texas Gypsies"... "The CD comes loaded with Charm and Chops!"... Mario Tarradell --The Dallas Morning News